Personal protective equipment (PPE) is equipment, devices or clothing that is worn to protect a worker from exposure to hazards. An employer must ensure that a worker required to wear PPE:
- is made aware of why the PPE is to be used
- is trained how to use the PPE
- is aware of the PPE's limitations
- is supplied with the PPE at no cost (with exception for protective footwear and protective headwear required on a construction project site)
- is given PPE that is in proper condition
- is given PPE that is appropriate for the risk and meets applicable standards
- is properly fitted for the PPE.
CLICK here to read the complete summary about personal protective equipment.
Check out our Shop Talk and safe work procedure template on personal protective equipment. (Below the FAQs are more resources related to personal protective equipment.)