In the first four weeks of a new job, new workers are 5 to 7 times more likely to be at risk of injury. Their injuries on the job can be caused by:
- inadequate training and orientation
- insufficient monitoring and supervision
- exposure to dangerous work with lack of understanding of workplace hazards, risk assessment and control measures
- lack of awareness of workplace rights and responsibilities
- inexperience and lack of preparation for the workplace
- not asking questions even when they don't understand work instructions. New workers tend to not ask questions because they want to give a good impression and are afraid of losing their job.
CLICK here to read the complete summary about new workers.