Alert Number: 01-21
Over the last several months, there have been many incidents of workers falling from ladders and in some cases falling as much as 15 feet to the ground. Using ladders in an unsafe manner can result in severe injury or even death.
For every workplace where a ladder is used, the employer must ensure the ladder is used and maintained according to the manufacturer's specifications and safe operating instructions, as outlined in Part 13 of the Manitoba Workplace Safety and Health Regulation.
SAFE Work Manitoba reminds employers to:
- develop and implement written safe work procedures for ladder use at the workplace
- ensure that all workers are trained in the safe work procedures
- make sure all workers comply with the safe work procedures.
- Check the ladder for defects before each use.
- Ensure ladder base is on a solid surface.
- Secure ladder from falling at the top and bottom.
- Check for hazards above where you are working (i.e., overhead electrical wires).
- Maintain three-point contact when on a ladder.
- For every 4 feet up, place the ladder base 1 foot out.
For more safety information review: